The "Detectors & Instrumentation Department" (Service Détecteurs et Instrumentation - SDI) was created in 1998 by J. CHAUVIN, LPSC's Director at this time.
The SDI was initially composed of "group technicians" and technical staff from the SARA cyclotron facility.
Successive department leaders:
- Jacques Berger, leader from 1998 to 2002
- Patrick Stassi, leader since 2003
The SDI was created in order to cover the design, realization and implementation of instrumental set up for the laboratory experiments. It was especially designed to provide technical expertise in the field of sensors used in subatomic physics experiments.
Studies, developments, realization, implementation and maintenance of instrumental setups including:
- Mechanics, studies and implementation
- Detectors, studies, simulations and characterizations
- Command and controls, safety systems
- Embedded acquisition systems
R & D: Research and Development of new technologies in the field of instrumentation:
- Particle detection (photodetection radio detection, gas detectors)
- Materials (thermal, optical, mechanical)
- Control systems and data acquisition (embedded, wireless, etc. ...)
Assistance in experiments operation (working on site in most cases).
- Assembly, integration, testing and verification, characterization
- Instruments deployment in natural environments