- The main mission of the health and safety service is the prevention of work-related injury and illness concerning LPSC personnel, other persons employed by external organisations and the public in general.
- Safety and Radiation Protection Service consists of a single person, the Safety Manager, AP ("Assistant de Prevention"), PCR (Radiation Protection Competent Person) associated with the authorization of the unit to hold and use radioactive materials, and nuclear materials manager. His mission also includes protection of the Environment.
- The CLHSCT (Local Committee for Health, Safety and Working Conditions) is a consultative body that studies with the Director the safety problems in the unit, and proposes measures to implement. The committee is composed of representatives of the Department, including the AP, appointed by the Director and staff representatives who are appointed by the representative trade unions in the unit. The doctors of the CNRS and UJF are also members. The Safety Managers of the CNRS Delegation, UJF, of the INPG and the Radiation Protection Unit from IN2P3 are permanently invited. The list of Members. A more complete description is available in the Documents Health and Safety (Intranet). The reports are also available online (restricted access, Intranet).
* Safety training is provided and compulsory for any new member of staff. The AP, accompanied by the person responsible for the newcomer, presents the safety arrangements implemented in the LPSC, including what to do in case of an emergency. These items are explained in the Safety Book. In the case of exposure to risks related to a particular experiment, the AP explains the provisions of the Risk Assessment Document, developed with department and services managers. This course also identifies the need for specific training to certain risks, for example the use of a laser.
* Risk assessment, constituting the Risk Assessment Document, and used to formalize the existing technical, human and organizational arrangements or those to be put in place for the work of agents of the experiments.
* Risk assessment infrastructure
* Support for managers and groups for the implementation of safety devices, or declarative aspects.
* Safety management of contractors coming to work in the laboratory.
* Holding of the Health and Safety Registry. This document, available in the infirmary (near the amphitheatre), can be filled by everyone, so as to report a problem with the health, safety and working conditions. This register is read and the inputs discussed at every meeting of the CLHSCT.